In the course, we describe how EasyPower follows established arc flash standards and procedures to perform arc flash risk assessment. The course includes videos, quizzes, and exercises so you can learn how to to perform arc flash analysis and generate arc flash labels using EasyPower.
You have up to 45 days after your enrollment to complete the course.
This course is eligible for 0.8 CEU credits.
Note: If you are purchasing the course for someone else to use, please sign up with their name and contact information so that they receive the appropriate communications about their enrollment and receive CEU certifications in their name.
You can use your own version of EasyPower (version 10.2 or later is required to perform the examples related to the IEEE 1584-2018 standard) or you can request a limited-use trial copy from email@example.com. The trial version includes all of the modules you need to successfully complete the course.
Be sure to see our FAQ page for more information.
- VIDEO: IEEE 1584-2018 (15 min.)
- QUIZ: IEEE 1584-2018
- VIDEO: Step 1 - Collect System Data (11 min.)
- QUIZ: Step 1 - Collect System Data
- VIDEO: Step 2 - Determine Modes of Operation (7 min.)
- QUIZ: Step 2 - Determine Modes of Operation
- VIDEO: Step 3 - Determine Bolted Fault Current (3 min.)
- QUIZ: Step 3 - Determine Bolted Fault Current
- VIDEO: Step 4 - Determine Gap and Enclosure Size (6 min.)
- QUIZ: Step 4 - Determine Gap and Enclosure Size
- VIDEO: Step 5 - Determine Electrode Configuration (4 min.)
- QUIZ: Step 5 - Determine Electrode Configuration
- VIDEO: Step 6 - Determine the Working Distance (3 min.)
- QUIZ: Step 6 - Determine the Working Distance
- VIDEO: Step 7 - Determine the Arcing Current (5 min.)
- QUIZ: step 7 - Determine the Arcing Current
- VIDEO: Step 8 - Determine Arc Duration ( 9 min.)
- QUIZ: Step 8 - Determine Arc Duration
- VIDEO: Step 9 - Determine Incident Energy (7 min.)
- QUIZ: Step 9 - Determine Incident Energy
- VIDEO: Step 10 - Determine the Protection Boundary (1 min.)
- QUIZ: Step 10 - Determine the Protection Boundary
- VIDEO: Using EasyPower for Arc Flash (5 min.)
- QUIZ: Using EasyPower for Arc Flash
- VIDEO: Coordination in EasyPower (14 min.)
- QUIZ: Coordination in EasyPower
- VIDEO: Arc Flash Features in EasyPower (10 min.)
- QUIZ: Arc Flash Features in EasyPower
- VIDEO: Creating Arc Flash Labels (10 min.)
- QUIZ: Creating Arc Flash Labels
- VIDEO: Energized Work Permits (6 min.)
- QUIZ: Energized Work Permits
- VIDEO: Strategies for Voltages Below 250 V (7 min)
- QUIZ: Strategies for Voltages below 250 V
- VIDEO: Arc Flash Risk Assessment Summary (3 min.)
- QUIZ: Arc Flash Risk Assessment Study
Stephen Driggars and David P. Castor, PE
Principal Technical Writer and Senior Electrical Engineer
About the instructor
This course was created by Stephen Driggars, Principal Technical Writer for EasyPower, LLC. The course is based on the regional training classes performed by David P. Castor, PE and Senior Electrical Engineer for EasyPower, LLC.
Stephen has over 30 years of experience including training, technical writing, computer installation, business consultation, and customer service.
David has a broad range of experience in the design and analysis of electrical power systems and power generation. Prior to the formation of CVO Electrical Systems in June 2005, he served as the Director of Engineering Services for ESA, Inc., (now EasyPower LLC), from May 1998 through June 2005 and also served as manager of their Corvallis, OR office. He also has experience in the design of instrumentation and control systems. He has led large, multi-discipline teams in design activities on a wide variety of projects.
David has conducted numerous training sessions for EasyPower customers and clients, including recent sessions on conducting arc-flash hazard analysis in accordance with IEEE 1584 and NFPA 70E requirements.
He received his MS and BS in Electrical Engineering from the University of Missouri.